About Me

Newcastle-Upon-Tyne UK, Tokyo Japan

Sunday 16 January 2011

Shabu Shabu, "Jim-sensei" and...Laundry...

So, the mystery activity I didn't tell you about last time was *drum roll*...

SHABU SHABU!


Shabu shabu is, essentially an all-you-can eat meatfest! Or as my dad put it, "all-you-can-meat". I think I get the 'awful pun' gene from him! Shabu shabu consists of putting thinly sliced pork and other food in a pan of boiling water (heated by a hob built into the table) and then dipping it in various sauces. It was ¥1000 (about £7.50), and for that you get a huge plate of meat per person (see photo!), unlimited rice, vegetables, drinks and ice cream. Needless to say, I didn't need to eat dinner that night! It was delicious and I would certainly recommend it to anyone!


Just before Christmas, I handed out flyers at my local station advertising myself as an English conversation teacher/tutor to earn a bit of (actually, very good!) pocket money. Yesterday I did my first session with a Japanese student. We met at Tachikawa station and then went to a cafe to study/chat. The session went for an hour and I thought his English was pretty good generally. The stuff we covered was self introduction and general chat. Next week I think we are going to talk about music and going out to the pub, etc.

We went to karaoke last night for Tom's (a friend from my dorm) birthday. It was, of course, fun! If I manage to get photos from someone, I may post them.


Finally:


I love laundry day.


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.