About Me

Newcastle-Upon-Tyne UK, Tokyo Japan

Sunday 24 October 2010

Mt. Takao, Ueno and Other Curiosities...

Last weekend I went to Mt. Takao with some friends, as I mentioned in the previous post. Mt. Takao is about 30 minutes South West of Tachikawa by train. Mt. Takao was really pretty, and we saw lots of great statues, etc. as well. Maybe it's better that I let the photos do the talking!

Local asking for change I think.

The view from the chair lift (that was very high up and had no protective bar or anything to stop you falling out. Not fun for someone who doesn't like heights!



Beware the dogs dressed as monkeys!



Tokyo.

Tokyo again.

Tengu dog - Tengu is a type of supernatural creature from Japanese mythology. Naigubu is the name of the tengu believed to protect Mt. Takao. It has a long nose, which is why the above hot dog is named the Tengu dog. It was tasty! 



My new Japanese mountain friend.

Hello!


The life of Buddha, depicted in 4 engravings.

I couldn't help but feel that maybe this was slightly disrespectful.

A man and a monkey.

A man and a cockerel.

Some monks leaving the monastery.

All in all, Mt. Takao was a great day out, and it was nice to get away from the big city for a few hours!


Yesterday I went East to Ueno with a few friends. 


We went to an arcade and did a puri kura (which I have mentioned in previous posts and will post the photo up soon) and saw UFO machines containing LOADS of Rilakkuma toys!



We had kaitenzushi (conveyor belt sushi) for lunch and it was great!

Me not posing with some eel.

Bright pink tentacles. Yum?

Also, some I have seen some weird stuff this week:

I saw a dog, sitting on the back of a bike, wearing glasses. Not even sunglasses, just glasses!

I saw a Japanese guy in my dorm bathroom cover his WHOLE face in shaving foam before proceeding to shave.

We were served spaghetti as breakfast in the dorm. My friend (and featured model for my blog) Jo said that he looked outside to see if it was dark in case he had slept all night and then for a whole day.

I bought some cereals but for the first couple of days had no bowl or spoon, so I attempted to 'drink' them out of a glass and when all the milk had gone, 'shovelled' the remains out with chopsticks.

I bought a mug saying: "Bistro Bear - Bistro bear is the best gentleman of a British tradition. He is cleverly refined, is very stylish and kind. Ladies enjoy conversation with him". Interesting.

Also there was a little earthquake today - Exciting!

I think that's it for now, although I expect I have forgotten something. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.